After the personal interview, the protection officer examines the application. He checks whether:
- the statements and the documentary evidence are credible
- the application meets the criteria of the Geneva Convention
- the applicant is eligible for subsidiary protection.
The protection officer who examines the application holds a university degree and is specialized in asylum law. He has thorough knowledge of the applicants’ country of origin.
On the basis of his/her knowledge and expertise, the protection officer can:
- establish whether the applicant’s documents are relevant and authentic
- compare the applicant’s statements with the situation in the country of origin.
The protection officer can also consult the researchers of Cedoca, who closely follow current events, especially the human rights and security situation, in the countries of origin.