The CGRS has published the asylum figures for May 2020.
APPLICATIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL PROTECTION
- In May, the Immigration Office registered 389 applicants for international protection. Each person (including children) is counted separately.
- In May 2020 Afghanistan, Iraq, Guinea and Syria lead the top 10 of countries of origin of applicants for international protection. Palestine, Turkey, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo (RDC) and Somalia completed the top 10.
- Owing to the confinement measures decided by the National Security Board in order to check the propagation of the Coronavirus, personal interviews have been suspended at the CGRS since Monday 16 March 2020. The CGRS gradually resumed the interviews from 8 June 2020.
- However, the mission of the CGRS, i.e. to take decisions about applications for international protection, is deemed necessary, that’s to say that it still has to be carried out.
- Therefore, the CGRS has taken 896 decisions in May 2020, concerning a total of 1,151 persons. This could for a large part be achieved by closing pending files in which a personal interview had already taken place. In May 2020, the protection rate was 56.7 %.
- The total workload of the CGRS corresponds to the number of cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of May 2020, the total workload amounted to 10,671 cases (13,453 persons). In view of the current inflow, a volume of 4,200 dossiers can be considered as a normal caseload. The actual backlog amounts to 6,471 cases.